Thanks to NanoTrasen's (and the coders') generosity, you spawn with all the tools you need for construction work right from the get-go. You start with a utility belt stocked with essential engineering tools (specially a screwdriver, wrench, crowbar, wirecutters, welder, wire and multitool) and two 100-unit matter cartridges for RCDs. If you ever need to enter Space to build something, you have nothing to fear; you spawn wearing an engineering space suit that protects you from the vacuum of space, magboots to keep you from floating away when the boots are activated, and a jetpack that supplies oxygen when configured correctly and allows free movement through space.
That's not all though! Your backpack (or equivalent) also contains a special set of tools needed to build the station of your dreams! Instead of just trying to talk about how awesome all of your construction equipment is, here is a full list with all your fancy tools and what they do!
||A device worn on your eyes. It lets you see green pre-planned tiles laid out using the Floor and Wall Planner. Also lets you see through invisibility cloaks, a relic of the Construction Game Mode, where Construction Workers occasionally had to fight invisible creatures.|
|RCD (Rapid Construction Device) Deluxe||
|| Looks like and acts like your standard standard RCD, but with reduced deconstruction costs and holds up to 1,500 charges! It also comes with a few extra functions, listed in the order it's cycled in the RCD itself:
|Floor and Wall Planner||
|| This device is one of your most essential tools next to your RCD. To use it, put it in your hand and left click on it. It will pop up a dialog box for either floors, or walls. Selecting either one of these two options will open up a WIDE list of selectable textures to choose from. The can be anything from the standard station floor/walls textures to grass, catwalks, and cave walls! This gun has most, if not all the wall/floor sprites used on Goonstation.
After making the selection of what sprite you want, left clicking with the gun on a space tile will highlight it with a green, transparent version of the tile you want. (Note: if you aren't wearing your Construction Visualizer you cannot see this!) Then, when you are finished pre-planning the room, use your RCD on the green tiles to make them into solid physical tiles, just like how the RCD works on the normal station. If you want a special wall, you build the floor under it first, then build the wall by clicking again.
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! Don't like how the current room looks? Or messed up and want to change something? You can change the tile sprite of any tile already built by a RCD just by selecting and left clicking on the tile. Walls will change automatically, but if a wall is clicked on a floor, it will place the green outline like a space tile so the RCD can build custom walls.
|| This gun pretty much has one job. One VERY helpful job. It takes processed metal bars and glass cubes from the reclaim, stores them internally, and uses them to produce preset glass/grill wall sections for your station, providing a efferent and quick way to make Window/Grill sections then needing to do set down panels and grilles yourself.
The gun has two different modes that are pretty straight forward.
||In the Construction Game Mode, this would let you zone rooms, so you could order more constructions kits for creating various rooms. Now that it's been depreciated, this thing does absolutely nothing.|
Buildin' Things Is What I Do: Your Duties
Essentially, you're repair crew. When parts of ship's/station's walls, windows, floors, and other structures are broken or destroyed, you're expected to come in and fix the damage, especially if it resulted in a loss of atmosphere. If things are going smoothly, and nothing really needs to be repaired, you can try to renovate sections of the ship/station or build new areas, which is by far the funnest part of the job.
While you're part of the Engineering department, you're not really expected to set up the engine, configure the solars, or anything, though you certainly can do it if you want. In fact, you actually come in handy when Engineering's running a hellburn. One of the most common techniques during a hellburn is to create holes in the floor using an RCD to control pressure, gas flow, and other things. Normally, the number of holes is limited by available RCD ammo, but thanks to your deluxe RCD's reduced deconstruction costs and all the extra matter cartridges you start with, you allow the engineers to more freely experiment with hole placement and try setups with more holes than usual.
When everything's going fine, and nothing needs to be repaired, it might be fun to start some renovation projects. Here are some ideas:
- Build a second bar/restaurant! Try to persuade the Mechanics to scan and deploy some chemistry equipment and drink dispensers for you and/or request some alcohol crates from Cargo. To attract customers, give it a unique touch, like a "dance floor" with random checkerboard tiles, spectacular views of the gym, or just generally lovely wooden flooring.
- Create an nature reserve! Use the Floor and Wall Planner to plop down some grass, sand, snow or similar tiles somewhere. Try to convince the Botanists to lend you some trays for the flora and ask the Quartermaster for Animal and/or Avian Import Crates for the fauna.
- Refurnish the Chapel to suit the Chaplain's religion. Are they preaching the gospel of the 'ganja? Bring in some comfy chairs to smoke in and construct a small room for hotboxing. Expounding on the smoothness of jazz? Use the Floor and Wall Planner to plop down some quality carpetting and set aside a small "stage" for a jazz band. Performing over-the-top Hollywood Satanism shenanigans? Turn out the lights, order some candles from QM, and use the Floor and Wall Planner to convert the Chapel into a dark, sinister cave or temple.
- Use the Floor and Wall Planner to switch the flooring of two rooms around, e.g. outfit the Medbay with carpeting/wood like the Chapel's, and replace the Chapel's floor with white and blue tiles. See if anybody notices.
- Open up a shop in the Market and make your stand look like a real store instead of a generic grey booth. Offering weapons? Try a more industrial look. Questionable legal advice? Go for an office. Magical items that may or may not have came from a Wizard? Perhaps brass and red like wizard artifacts or stonework straight out of a fantasy game.
|Jobs on Space Station 13|
| Command &
|Captain · Head of Security · Head of Personnel · Chief Engineer · Research Director · Medical Director · Communications Officer · Security Officer · Detective|
| Medical &
|Geneticist · Roboticist · Scientist · Medical Doctor|
|Engineering||Quartermaster · Miner · Mechanic · Engineer · Construction Worker|
|Civilian||Chef · Barman · Botanist · Janitor · Chaplain · Staff Assistant · Clown · Gimmick jobs|
|Jobs of the Day||Mime · Barber · Mailman · Lawyer · Tourist · Vice Officer · Boxer|
|Antagonist Roles||With own mode||Blob · Changeling · Gang Member · Flockmind · Nuclear Operative · Spy Thief · Traitor · Revolutionary · Vampire · Wizard|
|Others||Grinch · Predator · Krampus · Werewolf · Wraith · Wrestler · Zombie · Gimmick antagonist roles|
|Special Roles||Artificial Intelligence · Cluwne · Critter · Cyborg · Ghost · Ghostdrone · Monkey · Santa Claus|