Goonstation Spriting Guidelines
From Space Station 13 Wiki
Adapted from the Goonstation Spriting Guidelines hosted on HackMD.
- New sprites should be in ¾ perspective. Example here.
- Handheld item sprites should be shown side on, see tool and gun sprites for examples of this.
- Keep colour palettes simple and where possible sample existing colour palettes to create consistency within departments.
- Hue shift your shadows and highlights. Example:
- Do not use straight black for outlining, instead use a darkened version of the colour at the edge of the sprite. Example:
- Unique in hand sprites are encouraged for every new item, this is especially true for items that need to be visually identified in combat.
- Referencing popular culture is allowed but try to be subtle about it. Commonly available content should be original.
- Icon states should generally be centered on the middle of the canvas.
- Keep the use of your sprite in-game in mind, it’s difficult and frustrating to click tiny sprites or sprites with 1px holes in them
- To fix this, add a transparency 1 pixel in the hole.
- Try to keep scale in mind in general. Things don’t need to be actually proportional, they just need to “feel” right in the game.
- It’s good (but not mandated) to distinguish different objects by more than just color if possible, to accommodate the colorblind.
- Keep the names of your icon_states simple but descriptive.
- Use already existing .dmi files that fit your purpose if possible.
- Use the
widthXheightfiles (ex: 120x120) for larger-than-normal sprites.
- Do not be precious about your work. Be open to criticism and change both from other developers and players.
- Most untrained people can visually identify when something looks wrong or bad, it’s your responsibility as the artist to parse that criticism and find a solution.
|Contributing||Guide to Contributing to Wikistation · Spriting · Goonstation Spriting Guidelines · Coding · Hosting a server · Mapping · Goonstation Map Submission Guidelines|
|Lore & Art||Storyline (Old Storyline) · Fan Videos · Fan Art|
|History & Happenings||Changelog · History of SS13|
|Tales & Humour||Sex and the Singularity · Maintenance Doggs · The Rapper · The Trial of Heisenbee · Albert and the Deep Blue Sea · The uWu Interrogation · HeadSurgeon · Pubbie Tears · Dumb Pubbies · Banned Camp · Android Data|