All the manner of especially illegal and/or restricted things--how to find/discover them!
The following is a mostly-comprehensive list of things the security scanners, SecHUDs, forensic scanners, the Guardbuddies, and Beepsky and his securitron brothers all consider illegal. By no means should you use contraband rating as the sole factor in deciding what confiscate to/who to arrest. Contraband is strictly a legal term; all contraband is dangerous, but not everything that's dangerous is contraband. Use your common sense! Sure, a man carrying a butcher's knife isn't technically carrying contraband, but that doesn't mean he hasn't done anything illegal.
Another good thing to note: scanning something with a forensic scanner will give you an item's contraband rating/level. By no means will it help you find contraband, but it will let you know if something is considered contraband in the first place.
|Item||Image|| Contraband |
|Most Syndicate Items||0|
|Syndicate Space Suit||3|
|Target ID Tracker||3|
|Antique laser gun||4|
|Controlled Demolition Pipe||4|
|Katana (Sword only)||5|
|Old Hunting Rifle||8|
Space TSA! Stationary machines found at the entrances into Medbay, the Bridge, and Security, and sometimes a few other weird places depending on the map. They scan anyone walking through them (people in Vehicles, lockers, crates, and the like are not scanned at all) for contraband and compiles a threat level for them based on simple algorithm:
- Scan the contents of the person's hands, pockets, belt, (exo)suit and back slots.
- For each contraband item detected, add that item's contraband rating to a total threat level, going from 1 to 10.
- If the item was in a pocket, backpack, or belt item, add only 1/2 of its actual contraband rating.
- If the item was in a box in said backpack or belt item, its rating is not added and is essentially undetected. Same deal with items implanted into their chest.
- Consider multiple instances of the same contraband item; two stun batons have a higher threat level than just one.
- Check the person's ID card.
- Factor in dangerous mutants or non-human monsters.
- If that person's threat level is over 4, activate an alarm and send everyone in Security a PDA message with the name of the person who failed the scanner, their threat level, and the location of the scanner that sent the message.
Items thrown or pulled through the scanner are scanned as well, though pulled items might not be scanned if the person pulling them goes through the scanner quickly enough. Their algorithm is essentially the same, but the one difference is that the PDA alerts will have an item name rather than a person's name.
This scanner is also precise enough to detect changeling limb critters. All set off the scanner, since they're all threat level 6.
It also looks into the person's Security Record and checks if they are set to Arrest. If so, they fail the scanner and their threat level is reported as 4, though it is possible for it to be higher if that person is carrying higher level contraband.
Super-slick special sunglasses that, among many other things, can detect if someone in your sight is carrying contraband. If they're carrying an item with a contraband rating of one or above in their belt slot or in their hands, they'll a little C over their character sprite. Simple as that.
Tiny lil' Security Officers that roam about the station looking for those set to arrest and those carrying contraband. They use a much similar contraband search algorithm to the scanners:
- Scan someone within their sight (i.e. seven tiles) and look into the person's hands, belt, and (exo)suit slots.
- As you could probably tell, the pockets or backpack slots are left unscanned, unlike the scanners.
- Compile a threat level based on what contraband they see, adding each item's contraband rating to a total threat level.
- If the contraband item in the belt slot/item, only 1/2 of its actual contraband rating is added to the total.
- If the securitron is emagged, everyone's threat level is 10.
- Check if that person is actually supposed to carrying contraband by checking their ID card for a Weapon/Firearms Carry Permit. If so, they go free, even if they're absolutely armed to the teeth. Corrupt cops don't exist in Beepsky's world!
- Wearing an agent card will also reduce the threat level by two.
- Attempt to arrest and pursue anyone whose threat level is 4 or above, communicating that arrest by pointing their weapon at them and shouting "Level [threat level] infraction alert!"
As previously mentioned, the Securitrons will chase after those set to arrest in the Security Records. This status is tied to ID card, so the perp could put their ID away to avoid being chased, though they'd still be pursued if they were spotted before putting away the card.
Interestingly, despite their reputation as ruthless and rather foul-mouthed enforcers, they are perhaps the most lenient when it comes to handling blatant non-humans. Being a Predator, a playable Zombie, a transformed Werewolf, a Shambling Abomination, or a Monkey increases threat level by 2, so it's not illegal in of itself, but it is an aggravating factor.
Adorable little companions under the control of the Research Director and Head of Security. They use the exact same algorithm the Securitrons use to assess for perps; they scan belt, suit, and hand slots, they compile an additive threat level based on what they find, and arrest a perp if their threat level is 4 or above. They even announce their arrests attempt in nearly the exact same way.
The main difference between them and the Securitrons is their policy towards the more monstrous non-humans. GuardBuddies can detect if the thing they're looking at is blatantly not a human; however, they will only arrest those that are especially ugly and/or dangerous to the Scientists and other humans. This includes Predators, transformed Werewolves, Zombies, and Shambling Abominations, which are all considered threat level 5.
Also, because these GuardBuddies do not connect with the (since they're considered property of Research, not Security), they do not pursue people who are set to Arrest in the Security Records.