Monkeys are most commonly found as NPCs aboard the station, most of which reside in pens in Genetics and Chemistry, but they can be controlled by players. They used to show up in the Game Mode bearing their namesake, where they were viral in nature and existed to infect humans. This game mode was sadly discontinued because it was shit. It used to be possible to become a monkey through genetic alteration, but now it is limited to Changelings, the whims of admins and rare allergic reactions.
Being a Monkey
Being small and hairy is not all fun and games. The are some things to keep in mind:
- Monkeys have very low health, and will die very easily if exposed to an area with no oxygen.
- In an emergency, you can be understood by someone in a sleeper. You can also understand humans while in a sleeper. You can also rename sheets of paper and throw them around to get people's attention. A true monkeys will only communicate through farts and rude gestures.
- Even though it is a jerk move to attack other players without an excuse, monkeys used to be considered fair game. Now that monkeys are much more likely to be Changelings in disguise, people are likely to attack them on sight.
Abilities and Restrictions
- Can only wear items in the Mask and Back slots. Hands are unaffected.
- Can move over Tables unimpeded and hide under them by clicking on them with a free hand. Once enabled, hiding will make you move under some other objects like clothing, chairs and pipes too.
- Cannot understand speech of other races, which shows up mostly as asterisks.
- Cannot be understood by other races when speaking.
- Cannot interact with certain items and objects. For instance, you can use a taser, but you can't use the recharger. You can't use grenades, and you can't use AI modules. Can ride a pod, but can't ride segways.
- Initially Help intent will make you bite others. You have to select another intent and go back to Help in order to shake people. All other intents will cause you to bite your target. You can not grab or disarm.
- They are not fast, but tend to be hard to hit due to their smaller sprite and their ability to move over tables.
- Get knocked out easily and are far more likely to black out from a punch rather than falling over like humans do.
- Can not wear headsets, but can use a wall-mounted or hand-held radio. Humans will only hear it chimper, but other monkeys near a radio will get the message.
- Exposure to cold will quickly chill them to the slowest movement speed.
|Jobs on Space Station 13|
Staff Assistant - Chef - Barman - Chaplain - Janitor - Botanist
Engineer - Mechanic - Miner - Quartermaster
| Medical & Research:|
Medical Doctor - Geneticist - Roboticist - Scientist
| Command & Security:|
Security Officer - Detective - Chief Engineer - Medical Director - Research Director - Head of Security - Head of Personnel - Captain
| Antagonist Roles:|
Changeling - Nuclear Operative - Traitor - Wizard - Vampire - Spy - Gangster
| Special Roles:|
Artificial Intelligence - Cyborg - Monkey - Ghost - Cluwne - Zombie - Werewolf